Fabric Book Covers|
- A Book to Cover
- Sewing Machine
- Iron & Ironing Board
- A Ruler or Measuring Tape
- Straight Pins
- Measure your book from top to bottom. Add 4 inches to this number.
- Measure your book closed from the inner edge of the front inside cover to the inner edge of the back inside cover.
- Iron your fabric.
- Cut the fabric to the above dimensions.
- Place the fabric right side up on the table, and put the book on top of it. Wrap the fabric around the closed book so that you can mark the folds for the sleeves with straight pins.
- Take the book out, and iron the folds (the right sides should be touching).
- Open the fabric out and lie it flat on the ironing board, right side down, with one of the short sides at the top.
- Make a fold at the top about 1/8 of an inch, and iron it flat.
- Then, fold the fabric again, this time 1/4 of an inch. Iron it again.
- Turn the fabric so that the other short side is now at the top (still right side down), and repeat the previous 2 steps.
- Topstitch the short sides using 1/4 inch seams.
- Place the fabric on the iron right side down with one of the long sides on top.
- Fold the fabric 3/4 of an inch at the top; iron the fold.
- Repeat for the other long side of the fabric.
- Now, turn the fabric over so that the right side is facing up.
- Bring the folds for the book sleeves inward.
- Stitch all the way across one of the long sides, including the inwardly folded book sleeves.
- Repeat for the other long side.
- Trim all 4 corners by snipping them diagonally (be sure not to cut through your stitching).
- Turn the sleeves right side out.
- Put your new cover on your book.
Home | What's New | Intro | Beginners | This Month
Prompt Generator | Blank Book Ideas | Your Hostess
© 2000 - 2006 Dawn R. Vinson. All Rights Reserved.